Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Specific Disk Brake Requirements

Specific Disk Brake Requirements

I'm new to the world of disk brakes but have some very specific requirements and I'm wondering if anyone might be able to give me some answers

Firstly I'm looking for recommendations for an IS mount disk brake, ideally a disk larger than 160mm.
    I'm looking for recommendations for a complete setup - I need caliper, lever, hoses etc (everything) but only the one brake, not a pair.

I'm looking to spend around 70-100.

The main thing is that the brake lever *must* be a very similar end design to a 2 finger Magura HS33 lever - the shape of the end of the lever is the most important thing - no ball ends etc.

I've been running HS33s for a while now and have plenty of tools to bleed them, therefore a hydraulic disk which uses the same bleed kit parts (and uses mineral oil) would be preferable - does this rule out everything that's not made by Magura?

I'm not against cable brakes though, I hear the Avid BB7s are nice but the lever is no doubt nothing like the HS33 lever.

I've been looking at the MT2, anyone got one who could compare the lever design and any comments on it?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/magura-mt2-d...h-storm-rotor/
    It's not IS mount though, I presume I would need to buy an adaptor seperately and how does that work with buying bigger disks, wouldn't the brake caliper need to be further out?

Any other suggestions?

Cheers,

Rob

Hi there, welcome to the forum.
    Most (if not all) brakes these days are post mount calipers.
    you just buy an adapter that is designed fore the size of rotor that you have. Do you would indeed need a new adaptor if you change the size of rotor you are using.

Can't really suggest a specific brake that suits your lever desires. The Sox and deore though tick the test of your boxes. Reliable, good value, mineral oil.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Quote Originally Posted by fredmundo View Post
    Do you would indeed need
    Ah so, Chinaman eh?

Quote Originally Posted by fredmundo View Post
    The Sox and deore though tick the test of your boxes.
    Top form Fred, top form.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"

Hi there, welcome to the forum.
    Most (if not all) brakes these days are post mount calipers.
    you just buy an adapter that is designed fore the size of rotor that you have. Do you would indeed need a new adaptor if you change the size of rotor you are using.
    Cheers, from searching I saw that mosty seemed to be post mount. Wondering why?

I presume on somewhere like here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/magura-mt2-d...rm-rotor/#more where it lists the IS mount versions, they will simply come with the right sized post to IS mount adaptor.

The Deore lever is not going to be suitable unfortunately and that is the killer. As I would require a new bleed kit for it as well though (and a disk as they don't seem to come with one?), maybe not such good value.

After looking more, I think that the lever design of the Magura MT2/4/6/8 seems like it may be the only one to fit the bill.

I suppose I'm probably therefore looking for comments on that. I found on another forum that people seem to have broken the adjuster screw on them quite quickly. Anyone on here got any experience with them?

The Sox and deore though tick the test of your boxes.
    Aren't they the same thing?

Deore is entry, then slx, then xt, then xtr.

Why the stress about the shape of the lever of you don't mind me asking?

Most brakes now will be post mount simply because that's what most forks and frames come with as standard. There's probably a very technical reason for it involving stresses being directed one way instead of another but that would need someone with a brain much bigger than mine to explain properly.

Usually, if it says IS mount, then it comes with IS as standard & you'd need a PM adaptor for Post Mount.
    And vice-versa

Why is the lever shape so vital? It seems to be limiting your options a bit much. I've got SLX brakes on one bike & they are fantastic & apparently the new ones are even better.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMatt View Post
    Why the stress about the shape of the lever of you don't mind me asking?
    Because it's for my mountain unicycle and I need to mount one of these on the end of it: http://www.unicycle.uk.com/kris-holm...extension.html
    It's designed to fit on a HS33, both the new and old models fit - I would be prepared to do minimal modification to a brake lever but there's only so much I can do without compromising strength and only certain ones that would fit even with modification. The MT lever looks promising and I've had good experiences with Magura stuff before but I wouldn't know if there's anything better for a similar price (with a similar lever).

Most brakes now will be post mount simply because that's what most forks and frames come with as standard. There's probably a very technical reason for it involving stresses being directed one way instead of another but that would need someone with a brain much bigger than mine to explain properly.
    It's probably also lighter putting two posts on rather than a piece of metal with two holes drilled in it.

A mountain Unicycle????????????????????

Jeez, I've heard it all now.

WTTF btw.
    The chance of crashing is directly proportional to the number of people waiting to catch it on headcam.

2012 Merlin Maven for work and 2009 Cannondale Prophet for shits and giggles