Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Bikes

Which Bikes

Hello All

New to mountain biking so please be gentle. I currently have a free bike that was given to me its a cheap full suspension bike with disk brakes.

I'm due a bonus in a couple of weeks so was wondering if anyone could recommend a couple of bikes for my wife and I got a budget of 1200 to get two bikes out of. Ideally full suspension disk breaks not to heavy etc etc. Would like to be able to put the seats down on the car and put them into go out for a ride would also be an advantage.

Desperate to get into some form of exercise after stopping playing tennis over a year noticed on my short rides so far how out of shape I am.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Hi Ian,

First things first, almost everyone will recommend to get 2 Hardtails, not 2 full sussers, at that budget. The quality will be much better.

Where & what are you riding/planning to ride?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Nothing to strenuous to start with Towpath cycling mainly and cycle trails etc

For that money two Hard tails or one Full sus, of quality would be about right.

though do look around a bit just found this one:-

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p1748

Look for older models to get a bargin, you wont be missing out on much exept this years paint job, which is worth nothing covered in mud.

Most bikes if you take the front wheel off will fit in the back of a car with the seats down, if it is a small car both wheels may need to come off, you will find a way.

Welcome to the forum Baboboy

Then HT's (Hard Tails)would likely suit you fine. I have to agree with Reevil, on the budget you state. There are some very nice Hardtails around that would probably come in under that budget with some left over for Helmet's, gloves stuff like that.

Try this: http://paulscycles.co.uk/ They are older models 2011/2010 etc, but they are often better specced than more recent ones, as on the more recent models they are trying to keep the price down so the spec often suffers.

I've no idea how competent you are mechanically speaking but you might want to consider the Voodoo Bantu or Hoodoo from HellFrauds, the bikes are sound (I own a Hoodoo and it's a good bike) but the service at HellFrauds is often crap, it really varies a lot, I got lucky, but if you can handle a spanner you can do it yourself.

Not only that but there's a wealth of know how on this forum, so you can always ask us, beware......you will get the mickey taken out of you, this place is an asylum and run by the patients.

If at all possible, before you buy, try to get some test rides in. Stick around there will be more recommendations from the inhabitants sooner or later.

Oh' and Welcome To The Forum or as we say it WTTF stick around it's a great place, when you get set up, try and join some of the forum outings it's fun!
    MTB'ing As addictive as Cocaine And Twice as Expensive! Mace Just Makes Me Horny!
    Red Hoodoo huge fun a great bike.White Ibis Mojo HD 140 completed but got to ill to do much with it

Hey up, the posting is slow, MTBLeague, you weren't there just now!
    MTB'ing As addictive as Cocaine And Twice as Expensive! Mace Just Makes Me Horny!
    Red Hoodoo huge fun a great bike.White Ibis Mojo HD 140 completed but got to ill to do much with it

WTTF!

Defo get two hardtails, for 600 each you will be able to get a good spec for what you want to ride.

Something like

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanche-20-disc-2012/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-q620-2012/

Best advice is to go and ride some bikes within budget, good luck!
    Last edited by GTDan; 29-Feb-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, Will have a proper snuffle around the websites recommended. No Doubts Mrs C will go for a bike that's a pretty colour .

Quote Originally Posted by baboboy View Post
    No Doubts Mrs C will go for a bike that's a pretty colour .
    Don't go there, the OH went out shopping for cycle clothing because she didn't like what she saw on CRC etc, she came back with a Tassimo, go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzedx View Post
    Don't go there, the OH went out shopping for cycle clothing because she didn't like what she saw on CRC etc, she came back with a Tassimo, go figure!
    Ha ha sounds like what Mrs C does. At least she doesn't like coffee.