Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rehydration how to?

Thanks for the info Steve, I had a good breakfast before leaving home and then had a couple of slices of flapjack when I got to Cannock. I think one of my problems have been I have the wrong SIS drink for starters, secondly I don't often ride in a group so when I am in a group I tend to push that bit harder which then exasperates the problem, I am naturally a sweaty person so as quick as I am drink it it is running out of me. I had food to eat on the way round which I munched on at intervals. I did not feel totally exhausted when we finished, just the fact that I could not walk (although I did run to the loo when we finished ). I had no problem with cramp driving home although I did get a big twinge while sat on the sofa later in the evening.

At the moment my right calf is agony if I sit for too long and then try to stand up, almost like a torn muscle (this is what I normally get after one of these attacks).

I am going to look at the suggestions above and re work my drinking and eating strategy for when I am out in a group like Cannock. If I ride on my own I am normally OK
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

I have a banning hammer and I am not afraid to use it

Just to add to the comments, I also use High 5 in 1 water bottle and water in the other. then a bannana at the end of the dog when going across to the Monkey and another on the fireroad just before the new descent. This normally gets me through.

I'm always concerned with the weight penalty of carrying loads of fluids, heavier weight = harder work. and I dont do hard work!

Also I find doing the Monkey first then on to the Dog, that way Kitbag hill is not near the end and is much easier!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Trees dont get out of the way, no matter how much you shout at them

Hi guys

My golden rules for hydration and energy levels learned by bitter experience: (This is what works for me, I'm no expert!)

Start the day before at least, eat well, drink plenty of water (little & often) and be rested if possible. I won't do a big ride 2 days in a row.

Have a big breakfast with plenty of slow release carbs and don't forget the protein! My fave is tuna and pasta, sounds like a bizzare breakfast but it works for me!

Drink plenty of water on the way to a ride, if you have to stop for a pee soon after you jump on the bike you know you're hydrated.

Warm up (easyer said than done in a group!) I.e. chill out for the first 15 mins of a ride.

Avoid sweating too much by shedding layers if necessary.

Eat as soon as you can after a ride. This makes a massive difference for me and I try and make a couple of sarnies for this purpose. If I don't eat soon after a ride, even a reasonably steady one, I feel like crap pretty soon.

Ok mostly common sense and only usually works when I go on my own! When you're in a group competitiveness kicks in and nobody wants to wait around for you to have a pee or take your jacket off!
    It's not about the bike it's how you ride it, which is a shame cos I've got a nice bike but ride like a big jessie!

Bloody 'ell... after posting on this I biked home tonight and got cramp in both calves! Not easy riding when cramping!

Now I know how you felt Xendistar! ouch!!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Trees dont get out of the way, no matter how much you shout at them

When i ride i sweat like, well like whatever?, i use CLIF SHOT electrolyte in my camelback.
    I don't alway's have it in there but most of the time i do, the big tub's are relatively cheap to buy
    and tastes good (well cranberry does) and my camelback only ever needs a rinse out as it doesn't seem to cack it all up..

Oh and i never get cramp using it ;-)

Good read this once again the knowledge on here is gold dust!

Will be ordering some SIS Go shortly. Cheapest place to grab this from?

Quote Originally Posted by SharonRuddle View Post
    I think instead of commercialize drinks, We should drink for natural electrolytes, Coconut water, Lemon water with sugar and pinch of salt and Fresh fruit juices.
    Spam or not?
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spam.spam.spam.
    Boardman FSTeam 650B
    Owner of Munchkin Media Corp
    You Tube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgI...w-0UtnNd2UH2EQ

Spam, there's a link in the signature.

Thought so. Reported.
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!