Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rehydration how to?

Hybrid View

Rehydration how to?

When I ride I sweat badly and I have realised that this could be the cause of my cramp problem. Take yesterdays ride around Cannock, my 3ltr Camel back was 90% full with plain water and I had a 1ltr bottle of SIS sports drink. We did the dog and monkey trails, I started getting cramps from about half way round and ran out of water and SIS at the top of kitbag hill (I think that what it was called), fortunately one of my fellow riders gave me some more water to be going on with.

Now I am thinking that with all this sweating I am losing my bodies vital electrolytes etc. If I do a local ride 25ish miles fairly flatish I am OK, but when it comes to trying something different like Cannock where I end up exerting myself more, then I sweat more and then the cramps hit. Before going out I had some flapjack, took some maltloaf with me and some jelly babies which I ate on the way round. I honestly felt that if it was not for the cramps I could of carried on for a bit longer.

I don't really want to end up with SIS drink in my camel back and I don't want to end up carrying anymore fluids than I am currently as the weight penalty for 4ltrs of fluid is just under 9lbs.

So the question is what can I do\take\drink??
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

hey Xendi, I know your pain, I've been there. I found out that hard way that PSP22 just has glucose and no salts.

I usually fill my pack bladder with energy drink as this will give you salts etc.

I know people who use rehydration tablets in water if going for along period and not wanting to take energy drink. Nun are a good brand I'm told. I plan to pick some up myself to leave int eh pack as a fall back if I'm really ill prepared and can't take enough water with me.
    "Duct tape is like the force: It has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together."- Carl Zwanzig

Try SiS go instead of psp22, don't just take a bottle of it fill your bladder so it lasts you the whole ride.
    I was a teenage werewolf!

andifalloffwithstyle!!!!!!

FEED ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Camelbak was full of SiS. At the end of the ride it was bone-dry - I'd done the lot & still suffered from constant cramping.

I reckon mine was partly due to lack of riding lately, partly tiredness & partly 'cause I left my lunch in the car (doh!)
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"

I use dioralyte powder, or to be more accurate, boots cheaper own version. Cheap and has worked well, I used to suffer bad cramps in my left hammy, it more or less cured it, a couple of sachets as soon as I'm back and it rarely comes back.

The best place to find a helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Fred
    hey Xendi, I know your pain, I've been there. I found out that hard way that PSP22 just has glucose and no salts.

I usually fill my pack bladder with energy drink as this will give you salts etc.

I know people who use rehydration tablets in water if going for along period and not wanting to take energy drink. Nun are a good brand I'm told. I plan to pick some up myself to leave int eh pack as a fall back if I'm really ill prepared and can't take enough water with me.
    Thanks fred I was trying to avoid filling my camelbak with anything other than water, looks like I am not going to have a choice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I use dioralyte powder, or to be more accurate, boots cheaper own version. Cheap and has worked well, I used to suffer bad cramps in my left hammy, it more or less cured it, a couple of sachets as soon as I'm back and it rarely comes back.
    I had the squirts real bad once (food poisoning) and was given dioralyte powder by the doc and they tasted absolutely horrible, will investigate Boots own label and see what they have.

Looks like I am going to have to fill my camelbak up with the stuff what ever I use
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

PS: I realise that there may be concerns about putting energy drinks in your bladder.

I don't have any problems. I am rigorous about rinsing it out after every ride, while my clothes are still in the washing machine. I dry the bladder with paper towels and then hang it up to dry with a few more crumpled paper towels propping open the bladder walls so it can air off. Every now and then I'll treat it with a Steradent.
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula (only the frame, fork and front mech left of the original bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I used to use this and may start again along with stretching!!

My post was an ooutrageous lie. I use High 5, not SiS. Sorry.

Crash Test Reevil "Crashing so you don't have to"

Fortunately, I've never suffered from cramps, but I sure do sweat a lot. I once had a perfect day where I was so full of energy I was on fire and shot around the trail at warp speed. So I went again the following day and it was like I was dragging the weight of the world behind me. What was going on!!!

My tri-athlete daughter recommended SIS GO Electrolyte Energy - Fuel. It works for me. The instructions say 40g dissolved in 500ml of water, and to drink it all every 30-45 mins. But I find that its too thick and I just can't drink it all that quickly. I put about 30g in a 750ml bottle of my favourite dilute-to-taste squash (M&S High Juice). I usually take at least 1.5 litres with me, up to 3 litres if its a long hot day.

OK, I'm not conforming to the intructions, but as I say it works for me, so why take more?

You can buy sachets at the supermarket to give it a go and see which type of SIS Go you prefer (they have many types, as well as flavours). But the sachets are expensive. I buy mine in 1.6Kg tubs, see link.
    http://www.phd-fitness.co.uk/store/p...te-1600Gr.html

I also take some SIS Gels. One with caffeine before I set off:
    http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/s...ts-berry/24169

and one for energy mid ride:
    http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/s...-30-gels/24109

I'll take a few spares of both on a long ride.

Oh, and some fun size Mars, about one per hour. And a few other cereal based bars, my current favourite is "Medley" a chocolate dipped chewy hobnob (that's my description) from ASDA.

Then I don't need lunch unless its a really long day, and then all I'll have a is a large coffee and a regular Mars bar.

I hope you get your cramps sorted soon. have you tried talking to your GP. Mine rides an MTB, so he's a diamond!
    If you can't learn to do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
    # Norco Sight 1
    # Kona Kula (only the frame, fork and front mech left of the original bike)