PDA

View Full Version : Christmas week.

gorehound
28-Nov-2011, 05:29 PM
Anyone fancy a wee pedal around giusborough woods with Aldo as guide.

Exact date to be arranged to suit whomever is up for it.:)

MTBLeague
28-Nov-2011, 05:36 PM
Bit too far away for me gore.

Ohh you can edit the post long after they were posted.

Suppose we shall have to see what the weather is like, too far north and you get light for about an hour at lunch time:o

? lost me too???!

Hobo
28-Nov-2011, 05:39 PM
I was just thinking of putting something up to see who was about. I should be up for it.

I've got the whole week off so weather permitting I'll probably be planning a couple of natural rides too. Something in the Peaks and hopefully something further afield. Maybe the Dales since the last one died before it really got started?

gorehound
28-Nov-2011, 06:03 PM
It's about the limit travelwise for us considering the time of year MTB, not wanting to drive much more than an hour each way.

NorthernMatt
28-Nov-2011, 06:52 PM
No chance for me. I work for the only company in the world that thinks Christmas is the ideal time for a stocktake. :(

steve_sordy
28-Nov-2011, 07:04 PM
Where is Giusborough woods? (postcode or nearest town)

NorthernMatt
28-Nov-2011, 07:13 PM
Guisborough..............

gorehound
28-Nov-2011, 07:33 PM
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=guisborough&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x487ee58677b247df:0x2a32752fa81231ef,Guisbo rough,+Redcar+and+Cleveland&gl=uk&ei=_uHTTpOdBITe8QOUwPzUDw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CEAQ8gEwAQ

chippy_mark
28-Nov-2011, 07:37 PM
good grief you guyz are funny sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PMC101
28-Nov-2011, 07:41 PM
just had a look on youtube and it looks canny, i can see why you would need someone guiding.

gorehound
28-Nov-2011, 08:01 PM
good grief you guyz are funny sometimes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

? ya lost me there bro.

steve_sordy
28-Nov-2011, 08:57 PM
Ah........:o

134 miles, 2h27m in a northerly direction, Xmas week

hmmmmmmmmmm

I'll pass thanks.

xendistar
28-Nov-2011, 10:37 PM
If it is north of the M4 it to bloody far............

Tango
29-Nov-2011, 06:17 AM
Everywhere is north of the M4, south of the M4 is France :)

gorehound
29-Nov-2011, 06:40 AM
South of leeds is france.

xendistar
29-Nov-2011, 07:43 AM
I thought the M4 followed the route of that wall they built to keep you rough northern lot away from us southerner

bongo_bill
29-Nov-2011, 12:22 PM
At the risk of being made to look like a mug again, I'm in for this. It's basically my home patch and I noticed that there's been a lot of improvements done in the area on my ride back from the LBS on Friday.

What date is everyone thinking?

gorehound
29-Nov-2011, 06:12 PM
I thought the M4 followed the route of that wall they built to keep you rough northern lot away from us southerner

The wall is slightly north of us.:p

gorehound
29-Nov-2011, 06:13 PM
We're off all week so just about any day except boxing day suits me.

MTBLeague
29-Nov-2011, 08:27 PM
The wall is slightly South of us.:p

The one the romans put up to keep us out:p

gorehound
29-Nov-2011, 09:02 PM
The one the romans put up to keep us out:p

They should rebuild it on the north bank of the humber.;)

NorthernMatt
29-Nov-2011, 10:09 PM
They should rebuild it on the north bank of the humber.;)

While they're there they should build a big circular wall round Hull and fill it with water.

bongo_bill
30-Nov-2011, 08:47 AM
While they're there they should build a big circular wall round Hull and fill it with water.

I agree to all these wall proposals, especially the Hull one, horrible place! Apologies to all Hull dwellers, but it's true. To even things out my nearest big town is Middlesbrough, which is also a dump. Nearest City is York (nice) or Sunderland, and erm........let's not go there hey? :D

markrussell78
30-Nov-2011, 11:48 AM
To even it out you have Durham, beautiful city!

gorehound
30-Nov-2011, 07:22 PM
Don't forget newcastle (another dump).

gorehound
03-Dec-2011, 08:57 AM
Is the 27th a good day for all?

Hobo
03-Dec-2011, 05:21 PM
27th is good by me.

greeneye
03-Dec-2011, 06:52 PM
its more than likely i will be joining you all for this one, do we have a tour guid yet???

bongo_bill
05-Dec-2011, 03:42 PM
27th is fine by me. If Aldo is unavailable I can lead something out from the Guisborough Forest centre, tackle Guisborough Red and some stuff around Great Ayton/Kildale. Distance can be determined closer to the time.

Edited to say - I don't know all the local stuff there these days but I know enough to get a good spin out of it.

gorehound
05-Dec-2011, 07:25 PM
Cheers bill.;)

Aldo
05-Dec-2011, 09:25 PM
I'll be reet for the 27th, it seems like a good little turn out at the moment.

gorehound
06-Dec-2011, 05:51 AM
Fingers crossed kidda.

What time we going to make this considering it can get dark as early as 14.00 under dense spruce cover (if there is any).:)

bongo_bill
06-Dec-2011, 06:41 AM
Most of the tense spruce is gone in Guisborough these days. An early start would still be better though, depending on what Aldo has planned. There is scope for a coffee and cake stop depending on route! The place may or may not sell alcohol, supopse that's only important if Tango is coming though.......

fredmundo
06-Dec-2011, 07:50 AM
Did they start a relaxation program for the spruce then or was it just reduced hours?

NorthernMatt
06-Dec-2011, 08:25 AM
Nah, they probably sent it on a course on how to manage its time properly.

bongo_bill
06-Dec-2011, 11:43 AM
Bloody phones.

The "tense" spruce is on the greatest relaxation of all - death.

gorehound
06-Dec-2011, 07:13 PM
Sounds like there has been a thorough thinning operation going on down there. With having to travel an hour to get there 09.30- 10.00 is a good time for us.

greeneye
06-Dec-2011, 08:44 PM
9.30 is good for me matey.

Aldo
06-Dec-2011, 09:10 PM
9.30 seems fine, as I don't have to travel at all ill go with times to suit those that do. Most of the good stuff is still smack in the heart of the trees so as gore says you really don't want to be doing that stuff for the first time in the dark, route will have to be weather ( read snow) dependant, some of the stuff in there is VERY steep in parts so I'll have a small rekky up boxing day to scope out the technical parts for safety's sake.

gorehound
23-Dec-2011, 10:44 AM
The only thing to sort now is where we're meeting. Can't remember where we used to park when Tricks dad lived in nunthorpe.

Aldo
23-Dec-2011, 11:46 AM
There's a visitors centre there now in pinchinthorpe. Its got a purple mountain cafe there now (never been)

Ill see if I can sort postcode for those with Sat Nav's or looking for google map directions etc...

gorehound
23-Dec-2011, 12:29 PM
Is that on the roseberry topping road between nunthorpe and guisborough?

Aldo
23-Dec-2011, 01:40 PM
It's basically about 30 seconds outside Guisborough mate.

Singletraction webby says ...

Guisborough Forest and Walkway Visitor Centre is in Guisborough Forest. (http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/recreation.nsf/LUWebDocsByKey/EnglandNorthYorkshireNoForestGuisboroughForest) The entrance to the visitor centre is about 300 metres along the A173 for its junction with the A171 just west of Guisborough. The entrance is signed. Guisborough is the nearest town or village.

The forestry webby link for where I'm trying to get you lot to is http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/recreation.nsf/LUWebDocsByKey/EnglandNorthYorkshireNoForestGuisboroughForest

If there are any probs getting there, I live 30 seconds from the LBS (Bike scene) and you can PM me for moby number, Ill meet the needy in the carpark about 9.15 if required.

As we are a little behind the times here, I wouldn't expect either the bike shop OR the visitors centre to actually be open on the 27th so bring supplies if you need them.

gorehound
23-Dec-2011, 02:03 PM
Tricks is pretty sure sjhe knows where it is.

Hobo
23-Dec-2011, 03:25 PM
I've found the visitor centre on Google Maps so should be ok getting there.

What's the riding like there? erring towards the HT because of the mud but if there's owt steep or really techy I'll take the FS 'cos it's got a dropper post.

gorehound
23-Dec-2011, 03:45 PM
That's where we used to park when we went there. Easy to find.

gorehound
23-Dec-2011, 03:55 PM
Hardtail...............Now there's an idea.

Aldo
23-Dec-2011, 04:15 PM
I've found the visitor centre on Google Maps so should be ok getting there.

What's the riding like there? erring towards the HT because of the mud but if there's owt steep or really techy I'll take the FS 'cos it's got a dropper post.

Bring the Susser mate, I'm thinking of some steep stuff. I wanted to take the Stylus up there, but I'm probs going to be on the Enduro.

Ill see tomorrow, the good thing about off piste is its all in shelter, the bad thing is, its ridden loads so hence the rekky for conditions. I know of a couple of bomb holes that will undoubtably be mini swimming pools/bogs, ill report on the rest tomorrow hopefully, unless I go to the pub of course.

Hobo
23-Dec-2011, 04:29 PM
Think I will take the FS Aldo, cheers. Thinking about it, could do with logging some miles on it and get a feel for the forks :)

bongo_bill
25-Dec-2011, 07:00 PM
Is the meet time 9.30am? I'll be waiting on the arrival of a mate from Manchester so could be late!

I've been informed that you now have to pay to park at the visitors centre, not sure if this is correct or not, so it will be worth bringing a few quid!

gorehound
25-Dec-2011, 09:20 PM
So it's the dawg not the hoss then. I would bring the Ex8 but some daft mackem seems to think "it's too much bike".;)

Hobo
25-Dec-2011, 09:27 PM
Hehe, I'll let him haul the Nomad round and give him some perspective :D

gorehound
25-Dec-2011, 10:14 PM
now there's an idea.

Gunwitch
26-Dec-2011, 11:52 AM
Are you lot still meeting up for this?

gorehound
26-Dec-2011, 12:10 PM
As far as I know we are. You up for it gun.

Hobo
26-Dec-2011, 12:13 PM
I hope so otherwise I'm in for a lonely ride :(

Looking forward to it :) , just about to head out for short local loop to clear my fuzzy head.

Gunwitch
26-Dec-2011, 12:15 PM
Looks like i'll be joining you guys.... if that's alright :cool:

gorehound
26-Dec-2011, 01:00 PM
09.30 it at the visitor centre car park it is then.:)

Gunwitch
26-Dec-2011, 01:07 PM
Roger dodger.

Who's going to be there first, as i'll be leaving my house about half 7 and might get lost!

gorehound
26-Dec-2011, 02:37 PM
You're going to be there well early then. We're expecting to be there about 09.00. Google maps should give you a route straight to the visitor centre.

Gunwitch
26-Dec-2011, 02:42 PM
Ye got one gore. I'm doing a19 then across a17 something. I like to get there early so I can have something to eat.

gorehound
26-Dec-2011, 03:39 PM
So we look for you in the swill trough when we get there then.

rockhopper666
26-Dec-2011, 04:11 PM
have a good day chaps i wish i could make it but im traveling back up to aberdeen tommorow and offshore on wednesday

Aldo
26-Dec-2011, 04:23 PM
Righty o, I've done another rekky today and it's not as bad as it usually is. It's a tad muddy, but the wind is dryin stuff quite well.

I'm off for a few shandys this evening so may be a little ropey until the caffeine kick in tomorrow :D.

And it's chuffing windy so we may spend a fair bit in the trees and keep off the moors, route will probs be decided on the fly tomorrow as there is plenty to keep us occupied.

I ha no idea the cheeky swines charged for parking now :( for obvious reasons, I've never used it!

Catch everyone in the morning!

Gunwitch
26-Dec-2011, 04:57 PM
Cya on the morrow Aldo.

greeneye
26-Dec-2011, 06:58 PM
so far im up for this, i have my gear sorted and ready to go so the only thing that can spoil it is if i cant be arsed!!

also i have a dozen posh cakes for post ride eats.

oh they are posh.

chippy_mark
26-Dec-2011, 07:18 PM
have a great ride chaps got the flipping mother in law coming tommorow FFS GRRRRR! Would love to meet all you guys Piccies at least!

Gunwitch
26-Dec-2011, 07:27 PM
Bike stripped, gear sorted, camera battery charged. Like Green the only thing stopping me is getting up early.

See you on the morrow guys.

NorthernMatt
26-Dec-2011, 11:04 PM
Have fun chaps and chapesses. I would join you but I have been cajoled into the yearly promotion for the other halfs fat class hat she runs.

Gunwitch
27-Dec-2011, 08:41 AM
Stopped raining but cold!

Gunwitch
27-Dec-2011, 09:05 AM
Anyone text me Aldo's number please? I'm on **************

fredmundo
27-Dec-2011, 09:13 AM
Hey dude, pull your number from the website, bits will collect it. I'll text you his number in the meantime.

Edit; sent him your number and told him you want him to nudge you.

Gunwitch
27-Dec-2011, 09:17 AM
Cheers fred

Aldo
27-Dec-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, we all found each other in the end. Fred, changed my number dude a few weeks ago after iPhone disaster type thing, calls divert but texts are a no go on the old number, cheers for making the effort though fella, I'll pm you my new one in the next few days as I've promised Hobo I'll get down to see you southerners soon :)

All went well, apart from the guide nutted a tree, new flux is needed :(

Gunwitch
27-Dec-2011, 06:15 PM
Many thanks guys for a brilliant, if accident prone day. Hand is fine, just bruised. Elbow has started going down but is now a funny colour :D and head is fine.

Aldo, methinks you were a lucky bugger with the head stoppage.

Things i learnt: My pedals are sh1t, my tyres are exceptionally sh1te and i need more practice downhilling to NOT grab the brakes and panic like a big girls blouse.

Bring on the next one :D

Hobo
27-Dec-2011, 07:41 PM
I thought you did all right Gunwitch considering the tyres. It was fun trying to decide at what point you were eventually going to crash on the fishtailing descent :) Your elbow was both funny and increasingly alarming :D

Great to meet you and hopefully it'll not be too long before we all meet up again.

Gunwitch
27-Dec-2011, 08:31 PM
Likewise Hobo, good to meet you guys.
Today would of either made me say "Sod it" or leave me gagging for more. It's the latter, i want to conquer that damn run where i head bounced. All i could of think of was "Gods they're going to think i'm a right nonce!"

More practice needed, but i must get a camera aswell. The tyres seemed ok on the moors side and flat track, but the moment i hit any mud they became possessed! I shall invest in a better pair for next time.

Gunwitch
27-Dec-2011, 09:02 PM
Just need to decide on what tyre to get, there's loads!

NorthernMatt
27-Dec-2011, 09:06 PM
Not sure what the choices are when you get to wagon wheels to be honest. Chances are something with a Maxxis label should be ok. Just had a quick butchers about and the majority of tyres seem very XC oriented. For XC oriented read not very knobbly usually a bit shit in claggy mud.

JonathanL
27-Dec-2011, 09:12 PM
I've promised Hobo I'll get down to see you southerners soon :)
:(

Look forward to that. Spent a depressing day taking elderly parents to their home from my sisters so looking forward to getting out on the bike tomorrow.

gorehound
27-Dec-2011, 09:17 PM
What a fekkin day EH!. I'm off to bed after a couple of glasses of shiraz. Next time you want to fell some trees Aldo get a chainsaw and I'll give you some lessons. Some bonty mudX tyres might be a good investment Gunny.:)

Gunwitch
27-Dec-2011, 09:24 PM
Grrr can only find tubeless bonty mud x's. Shall hunt again tomorrow when i'm more awake!

gorehound
27-Dec-2011, 09:36 PM
You can still run them with tubes.:)

Aldo
27-Dec-2011, 09:39 PM
Grrr can only find tubeless bonty mud x's. Shall hunt again tomorrow when i'm more awake!

You can run the tubeless tyres with tubes fella, in fact in most cases the tubeless provide a bit of extra protection against pinch flats. I'd say the same as gore, if you can get some mud x's in wagon wheel variety then go for it.

I honestly think I need to slap swampies front and rear on the big bike now as those storm controls are sh1te, which was annoying as I remember having some on the five and I thought they were the shizzle, hence I was a little too confident in places today and I'm blaming the tyres for letting me down:)

Gunwitch
27-Dec-2011, 10:51 PM
AH ha, i didn't know that, cheers guys. I shall do that then :)

fredmundo
27-Dec-2011, 11:49 PM
Wow, sounds like an eventful day shame I missed out really!
Next time I hope.

Gunwitch
28-Dec-2011, 08:42 AM
How an elbow shouldn't look

How a bike should look

gorehound
28-Dec-2011, 08:57 AM
I've got about 5 stone of mud in the washer right now and about another 5 to wash off the woofer. Was a top day out though.

How's the head/ neck this morning Aldo?

Gunwitch
28-Dec-2011, 09:17 AM
Aye Aldo, you looked a bit stiff in the pub yesterday fella. Hope it's alright this morning.
Washing machine is going over time, hosepipe on the bike and shoes later. Need to pick up some grease from the LBS to regrease everything!

Aldo
28-Dec-2011, 09:28 AM
Neck is fine lads cheers,

Shoulders a bit stiff but nowt good old Ibuprofen wont cure :) I'll live.

Got full strip and re-grease to do this evening in the dark, yipee!!

Nice to see everyone is feeling fine this morning (note to self, must try harder next time)

Gunwitch
28-Dec-2011, 09:31 AM
Glad to hear it Aldo

Damn climbss :D Thanks for waiting at the top. I'm only a bit stiff in the shoulder of the elbow, hand is stiff aswell but it's working so nowt broken.

greeneye
28-Dec-2011, 11:33 AM
well that sounded like fun, a few to many the night before left me rough as the next morning.

now the old me would have went regardless but the newer mojoless me doesn't need a lot to sack the riding off.

if anyone fancy's the same ride at the end of january i will do my very best to drag my self there kicking and screaming

gorehound
28-Dec-2011, 11:52 AM
Sounds like a plan.

bongo_bill
29-Dec-2011, 12:24 PM
Nick didn't arrive in Stokesley until 10am so we were too late to come meet you guys. Probably for the best really since I have never felt so ill and had probably the worst ride of the last year. Sounded a hoot in Guisborough though so glad you all had a good time.

We headed up onto the Cleveland hills, literally couldn't ride any uphills, and we were constantly being overrun by gangs of motor crossers, never seen so many up around where I live, must have been passed by 30, leaving the bridleways in a really sh!t state, even the mud tyres were struggling.

I've missed that many rides now that I must be starting to sound a bit like a certain other poster and his fantasies. It was a good job I met Sir Q at MM so he can at least confirm that I'm not a phantom..... :D