PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock position

georidio
20-Oct-2011, 04:59 PM
Afternoon Guys,

First up ...top rag guys keep up the good work :D

right to the nitty and thanks to decent lube not so gritty. Basically I have a Manitou swinger 3-way SPV rear shock on my Pitch which is great as i can tweak both compression and rebound but it a real pain in reality as the M4 tubing shpe on the pitch means it's impossible to get the shock pump on the rebound setting with out taking the shock out of the frame completely...basically meaing I have to take it all apart, guess at a pressure, put it back together and try it and then start again if it's out. So my question is can I put a shock like this in with the air can at the bottom or will it banjo the shock if i ride it like that? the top air valve sticks out at an angle so will still be accessible if it's on the bottom and i don;t mind stopping for rebound adjustment on teh trail so thats not an issue for me....your wise words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated :)

Nick

Monte
20-Oct-2011, 05:06 PM
Fraid i cant help but wttf nick :)

gorehound
20-Oct-2011, 05:19 PM
:confused: Not a clue.

WTTF anyway.

Hammers your local haunt then?

xendistar
20-Oct-2011, 05:49 PM
The only think I can think of, is can you fit one of those 90 degree elbows (click link below) to the rebound air valve so you can get the pump to fit

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31H1MVGR7SL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

WTTF

MTBLeague
20-Oct-2011, 05:57 PM
Have seen some bikes with a valve adaptor to get around this problem, basically it is a small pice of hose that extends the valve position to a more convenient location, no idea where they got them from, sorry I cannot help you there, had a quick google.

Not sure if just turning it upside-down would be ideal, it may foul the frame like that but mostly the mud grit and other stuff that gets on there would run down into the seal rather than away from it, this would do your shoch a lot of damage.

georidio
20-Oct-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the quick responses and the warm welcome. I've tried a 90deg adaptor but there's just not space for even that.
I take the point about the muck doing damage and think you maybe right but I could get round that with a boot thing so not that fussed. I'm more concerned with the internals and whether if the can is upside down if it will work properly at all or if the oil is going to leak to where it shouldn't be and banjax the insides :)

Also gorehound: yes tend to be up there most sundays but working on some local rotues too around esh whinning area.

PMC101
20-Oct-2011, 07:04 PM
hiya sorry cant help you there but wttf bud,

gorehound
20-Oct-2011, 07:37 PM
looks like the north east crew are taking over.:D

georidio
20-Oct-2011, 08:51 PM
cheers for all the advice guys....i have now been back out to the shed and re looked at the adaptor that I had and thanks to some judicious engineering....please read hammer and pliers applied in a descrete fashion.... I have found that it will in fact fit into the frame :) although if the shock move atall during use it might move enough for the angle to catch the frame but ho hum i'd rather a little paint damage than having to replace a shock cos i put it in upside down and all the oil fell out :)

gorehound> like we don't dominate any where we go anyway :)

Kevolution
21-Oct-2011, 01:41 AM
That red capped valve isn't the rebound adjuster. It's the SPV (stable platform valve) it sets the level of COMPRESSION platform damping. and once it's set to the preferred level, in a range usually between 75 (light) and 200psi (firm platform) you don't need to adjust it. It acts as a kind of automatic Propedal, lockout, platform that works in the low speed compresion range to allow the bike to pedal well, then become active on bumps. It basically sets the sensitivity of the platform in the given range, dictating the size of bump that'll activate the shock. The blue dial controls rebound on Manitou shocks.
If you release air from the red valve, your shock will run "faster" but not beacuse it's adjusted the rebound, it because it's removed the stability of the oil by effectively removing the IFP (internal floating piston) that supports the oil on a cushion of air that acts as a spring when the damper can't cope and it "spikes". You're effectively turning off a ride tuning feature and spoiling your shock's performance, as well as removing a safety feature, and you could damage the shock by doing so.

Start by setting the SPV pressure to 125psi, ride a trail you know well, and tune it from there. go up or down in 10psi increments until you get close to a good feel, then drop to 5psi changes to fine tune it.

WTTF and HTH.

B1Gdave
23-Oct-2011, 10:49 AM
Probably what Kev said. WTTF bud!

Colebag
24-Oct-2011, 05:46 PM
That red capped valve isn't the rebound adjuster. It's the SPV (stable platform valve) it sets the level of COMPRESSION platform damping. and once it's set to the preferred level, in a range usually between 75 (light) and 200psi (firm platform) you don't need to adjust it. It acts as a kind of automatic Propedal, lockout, platform that works in the low speed compresion range to allow the bike to pedal well, then become active on bumps. It basically sets the sensitivity of the platform in the given range, dictating the size of bump that'll activate the shock. The blue dial controls rebound on Manitou shocks.
If you release air from the red valve, your shock will run "faster" but not beacuse it's adjusted the rebound, it because it's removed the stability of the oil by effectively removing the IFP (internal floating piston) that supports the oil on a cushion of air that acts as a spring when the damper can't cope and it "spikes". You're effectively turning off a ride tuning feature and spoiling your shock's performance, as well as removing a safety feature, and you could damage the shock by doing so.

Start by setting the SPV pressure to 125psi, ride a trail you know well, and tune it from there. go up or down in 10psi increments until you get close to a good feel, then drop to 5psi changes to fine tune it.

WTTF and HTH.

That was useful! We've just bought an Orange Patriot frame from fleabay and it has the same shock mentioned. I was going to look up the settings etc........no need now. Thanks Kev