PDA

View Full Version : Fox FIT RLC Worries......

Pops
07-Jun-2010, 06:35 PM
Ok, now for my next suspension concern......

I've only had time for a couple of (soft) rides on my new steed, so part of this is based on just seeing how it feels with the brake on and pushing.
I've gone through the whole set up process for my weight etc and it seems a bit too stiff and sketchy - when I push down it sometimes goes in increments and the same on the rebound - not smoothly. Also I can take all the pressure off of the bars and the last couple of mm don't always rebound - it's only if I lift up the bars you can feel it pop out.

Having said this, it feels slightly smoother the more I've done this and obviously reducing the air pressure has softened it.

My main concern is that the first couple of times I used the pump to check/adjust the pressure I found a blue oily liquid in and around the valve of the shock (brand new pump) - my LBS suggested that this was an overfill of oil and nothing to worry about.

Thanks for reading this short novel!!!

DomDom
07-Jun-2010, 07:11 PM
Ok, now for my next suspension concern......

My main concern is that the first couple of times I used the pump to check/adjust the pressure I found a blue oily liquid in and around the valve of the shock (brand new pump) - my LBS suggested that this was an overfill of oil and nothing to worry about.

Thanks for reading this short novel!!!

The oily blue stuff is absolutely nothing to worry about as they are brand new forks. I had the same, just manufacturing goodness!!

As for the 'plushness', you have to give them time to warm up and kind of bed in, not sure if that is the correct term but hey, they just need some time. Razz em on some good up and downs and they will 'come alive' on you and really get going. Also you may want to leave the bike upside downn 24 hours pre-ride, this gets the oil to the top of the fork and will help with the ride the next day. Silicon spray is good but you shouldn't need this if brand new. Sounds like they just need to settle down...I promise, they will come alive on you...just wait - they are fabulous forks...

I have the Fox TALAS and they always respond better when they hit the trail centres as opposed to the gentler local trails...hope this helps and reassures you mate. :cool:

DomDom
07-Jun-2010, 07:16 PM
Oh, the other thing is check the pressure based on the manual for your weight...this is unique to the fork, of course. :)

Sir_Queuesalot
07-Jun-2010, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't bother with checking the manual for your weight and pressure go straight to the set it up for 20% sag as measured when you sit on the bike with all of your riding clobber on.

The blue fluid is Fox Float fluid. There's a small amount in the air chamber to act as a lubricant, again it's not been 'over filled', and when you release some of the air from the fork leg there's bound to be some escape.

The notch-i-ness is called stiction, this will improve and they'll become plusher after a few rides as all the parts bed in and get to know each other.

DomDom
07-Jun-2010, 07:52 PM
One can tell Sir Q is the er expert, unlike me :(

I reckon you can be re-assured though - have fun!! :)

Pops
07-Jun-2010, 09:30 PM
Thanks for your help guys.....

cg172
08-Jun-2010, 08:46 AM
Yup, 10 or 15 hours use and you won't recognise them... They'll be sweet. :D