PDA

View Full Version : FAO Prophet

DannyT
17-Mar-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi mate,

I have been viewing the pics on your site (which is great btw) and been meaning to ask you for a while now - what advantage to you get with one fork on your steed?
Cheers

Sir_Queuesalot
17-Mar-2009, 04:01 PM
Less to clean :D

rb2000
17-Mar-2009, 04:13 PM
it helps if you tend to fall off to the right

MTBLeague
17-Mar-2009, 08:18 PM
Only half as much to go wrong with them :)

kingcraig
17-Mar-2009, 08:18 PM
half the weight, you only need one fork

Nobby_Sideways
17-Mar-2009, 08:31 PM
Can anyone repost the URL so I can have a look please? I like a bit of funky engineering.

brij
17-Mar-2009, 08:57 PM
i think its www.27gears.com (http://www.27gears.com) mate

prophet_1000
17-Mar-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey DannyT cheers for the comments, advantages of the Lefty???????? probably non :D :D

I think Cannondale reckoned it was ( when it was designed probably ) the stiffest fork for its travel! I just thought it looked different than all the other bikes at the time ( 2005 ) Having ridden with it, I like it's simplicity, its a coil spring shock with a Manitou SPV (stable platform valve) device to stop the bobbing when pedalling, its not the plushest of forks by a long way, but it is perfect for my Trail riding needs and keeps the front wheel in contact with the ground when I'm pinning it down a fast section which is always a bonus!

Its super easy to maintain and apart from a Shimano external BB tool to undo the top cap there are no special tools needed to carry out any job on the fork, Yes I get loads of comments about it virtually ever time I ride (still loads by my mates about me always going around in circles) :D :D

Thats about it really, its off the trail at the moment waiting a rear hub Freehub, one thing about Cannondale and parts, they don't do things in a hurry!!:mad:

rb2000
17-Mar-2009, 09:25 PM
this might sound stupid, cause ive never riden one, but at first did you ever feel out of balance and try to over compensate for it etc?

prophet_1000
17-Mar-2009, 09:56 PM
Not at all mate, feels just like a normal fork......if I am just stood next to the bike and holding the seat to keep the bike upright then the handle bars/wheel fall to the Left but when riding I can do no handed and it stays straight ahead

kingcraig
17-Mar-2009, 10:11 PM
they've been around for ages them, but everytime i see them i think how the hell does that work, how do u take the front tyre off?? what ever holds the tyre on to the fork must be super super strong

DannyT
17-Mar-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks mate - intresting!

prophet_1000
17-Mar-2009, 10:37 PM
the front wheels hub has a captive nut (it wont come out of the hub and is part of it) this screws onto a stub axle similar to how a car hub stays on really, not got any pictures of the hub BUT here is a picture of the stub on the fork

http://www.27gears.com/lefty4.jpg

when the front hub nut is undone it automatically pulls the front hub off the stub, the caliper has to be undone and rotated out of the way or removed to remove the front wheel BUT as the wheel doesn't need to be removed to replace the tyre or fix a puncture I never have to remove the wheel unless for maintenance.

rb2000
17-Mar-2009, 10:40 PM
Not at all mate, feels just like a normal fork......if I am just stood next to the bike and holding the seat to keep the bike upright then the handle bars/wheel fall to the Left but when riding I can do no handed and it stays straight ahead

ok cool, sounds good, i must get on one at some point!
rb